Wednesday, March 13, 2013

New SS, further delays

Met with the new SS on site today. Feeling slightly relieved to know that PD is already on our case since our previous SS left. 
Talked to him about our PCI appointment for this Friday 15th March 13. He tells me that it will not be happening - Not surprised!
SS says that theres no point to have a PCI this week when the house is not ready yet. He claims to know that there outstanding things that need to be fixed and that our private inspector will just be repeating things in his report of things that he already knows need to be fixed. Some calls and emails will go out to contractors today and that hopefully most of the house will be prepared for PCI soon. Hopefully we won't have too much to do after our PCI and a handover can be in near sight.
When I arrived, he was there running the taps in the upper floor, checking if they are leaking and or flowing well. 

#1 - SS claims that Tiles have been installed in our powder room correctly. SS says that tilers will install the tiles to the vanity unit height and then only install the splash back  He also believes that he may not be able to bring it up to the building manager to have it rectified as our request. I still don't understand why PD has contractors who don't know how to build like the display homes. You can't expect a customer to buy something and not get what its claimed to be. I'm not going to let this rest. Why can the tilers at the display home do it, and the tiler at my house can't. Quality of the work here is questionable. I really did not expect the tiles to have turned out like how it has. I have always had the idea that there will be large tiles all around the entire powder room. 
This is something PD must look into - promoting a design which doesn't not sustain when delivering. 

#2 - roller bolt on the pivot door. SS says that the mortice type roller bolt is a gainsborough deadlock packaged together with the pivot door. The paradigm 005 square deadbolt is a lockwood deadlock. Two different brands. Gainsborough mortice lock has been used as there had been reliability issues with the lockwood ones. I stressed that the thumb-lock (paradigm 005 square deadbolt) had been installed on the wrong door - our internal garage door, instead of the front entry door. He says that he'll have to look into possibly modifying the mortice lock to install the thumblock on the door. I don't mind this outcome if it's going to work. But I definitely do not want another deadlock under out mortice lock. The issue here is that, we have to leave a set of keys on the pivot door permanently in order for us to use the mortice deadlock. (what is the keys get misplaced? What is someone takes the keys away? We won't be able to lock our doors at night!) SS says that a gainsborough locksmith might be able to install a permanent keylock on the mortice deadlock. We just won't get the deadlock feature.

Bought this from Bunnings warehouse today. This will go onto our wall just above our Freestanding bath. 
Master Ensuite Ladder Towel Rail
$179

2 comments:

  1. re tiles: Makes sense the way they install the tiles ie to vanity then do the splashback ONLY if the splashback are different tiles! If they are all one single tile type / design, why cut a nice large tile. The tiler / SS just didn't bother to check the plans before they tiled the area or else they would have noticed and you would have the nice result you wanted... Wonder if you could contact the building manager directly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you have so many issues while building with PD. Although I don't have nearly as problems as you do, I can empathize. I am building the same type of house, a Sandringham 45 and I need to stay observant to ensure that PD corrects all the mistakes they make. I just wish I had found your blog sooner and avoided all the hassle.
    I also have the same problem with the Caesar stone benchtop. They force me to choose at the last minute, between a shorter benchtop or a benchtop with a join in it, completely defeating the purpose of paying a high price for a Caesar stone benchtop!
    One time, I decided to check on my site after dinner. It was night-time when I arrived and noticed that my front door was left open. I heard voices inside and rushed inside to see who it could be. To my surprise I found 3 people from PD working on my house, using an iphone as a flashlight.
    There are these issues and countless more, where I have had to fight with PD to ensure that they fix it properly.
    I find myself often questioning how PD manages to advertise its professional builder awards. When the experiences I and many others, have had with PD are far from it.
    Please keep posting on your blog,
    Your insight is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete